PCLinuxOS.dk :: Forums :: Tips and Tricks
<< Forrige indlæg | Næste indlæg >>   

Guide to configure Kaffeine and Amarok to play real player/Win32codec audio

Ophavsmand Indlæg
allanadmin
ons feb 13 2008, 21:24 Vis Udskrift

allanadmin

Oprettet: tor feb 08 2007, 17:58
This is an easy to use guide to install and configure win32-codecs package in order to play a variety of audio/video file formats such as realplayer and quicktime. This guide is intended for new PCLinuxOS users, such as myself
so I will to try to explain the steps as simple as possible.

By default Kaffeine and Amarok are installed in your PCLinuxOS 2007, if you are using MiniME you have to install them first in addition to the Xine engine before following this guide.

Background
The codec files needed for playing real audio files and other file formats you are used to play in Windows are contained in the “win32-codecs” package. However, installing the package alone will not allow you to play theses files in Amarok and Kaffeine, further configuring is needed. The reason for that is both Amarok and Kaffeine Xine engine configuration point to the wrong codec path. Perhaps this issue can be addressed in PCLinuxOS 2008.

Steps
1)Install “win32-codecs” through Synaptic Package Manager.
2)Kaffeine steps

a)start Kaffeine
b)click menu->settings->xine Engine Parameters
c)choose decoder options
d)change /usr/lib/real/ to /usr/lib/win32/
e)change /usr/lib/codecs to /usr/lib/win32

3)Amarok steps. Unfortunately Amarok does not have a GUI to configure the Xine engine. Nonetheless, it is very easy to modify the codec paths by following these simple steps.

a)Make sure Amarok is closed
b)Open with your preferred text editor the Amarok “xine-config” file located in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/”.
This can be done by issuing the following run command (click ALT+F2 to bring the run command dialog)
kwrite ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/xine-config
* The “xine-config” file has many entries, but we are only interested in changing two values, path to RealPlayer codecs and path to Win32 codecs.
c)Change #decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/real/ to decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/win32/
* If the value for #decoder.external.real_codecs_path is empty also change it to decoder.external.real_codecs_path:/usr/lib/win32/
d)Change #decoder.external.win32_codecs_path:/usr/lib/codecs to
decoder.external.win32_codecs_path:/usr/lib/win32
e)Make sure your removed the '#' at the beginning of both modified lines. Otherwise, Amarok will use the default values instead of the new values.
f)Save the file and close kwrite.
4)Enjoy listening to and watching real media and QuickTime in your players Smiley

Note about .ram files: by default Amarok does not play some files with the .ram extension even if they are audio files. A walk around is to rename files with .ram extensions to .rm, after that Amarok will play them.
I recommend installing and using krename for batch renaming.
Tilbage til toppen

Bestyrer: allanadmin

Gå til:     Tilbage til toppen